Failing to stop at the scene of an accident to exchange details or failing to report an accident can have devastating consequences for your driving licence and in turn result in the loss of your job, your home and cause major disruption to your everyday life.
However, with an 85% and 80% success rate in cases that have gone to trial for a failure to stop and a failure to report respectively and 100% of clients who have pled guilty or been convicted within the last 12 months retaining their driving licence you need not fear, simply call Sheridan Road Traffic Law!
Failure to Stop or Report
These offences are both covered under Section 170 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 which provides that:
- A driver must stop and, if required to do so by any person having reasonable grounds for so requiring, give his name and address and also the name and address of the owner of the vehicle and its registration mark;
- If for any reason the driver of the vehicle does not give his name and address, he must report the accident;
- The accident must be reported at a police station as soon as is reasonably practicable and, in any case, within twenty-four hours of the occurrence of the accident
The Penalties of Failing to Stop or Report
The penalties for each of these penalties are as follows:-
- Between 5-10 penalty points
- Disqualification from driving
- Up to 6 months imprisonment
With such severe penalties for failing to stop and failing to report an accident, if you are charged with one or both of these offences, whether your guilty or not, the risk to your driving licence is too great to do anything other than get a specialist road traffic lawyer on your side.
If you are unaware of the alleged accident or feel that you have done everything expected of you then we will fully investigate your case and prepare your case thoroughly to give you the strongest possible defence. We will obtain and analyse cctv footage, have your vehicle examined and if necessary obtain accident damage reports to discredit the crown evidence and substantiate your defence. With a well prepared and robust defence our specialist road traffic lawyer will use his expert court craft and knowledge of the caselaw on this issue to protect your licence.
If you have been foolish in failing to stop and report an accident or simply weren’t aware of your obligations make sure you don’t compound the problem, contact our road traffic specialist. We will prepare and present a bespoke and comprehensive plea in mitigation to the court on your behalf to ensure that they fully understand the circumstances, are aware of your remorse and appreciate the devastating affect that a disqualification of any sort could have on your life.
Join the 100% that continue to enjoy the freedom of having a driving licence, contact the Sheridan Road Traffic Law now on 0141 465 3333